June 28, 2009
While Ahmadinejad continues to reject criticism of the election results…
- Iran’s President Rebukes Obama; Candidates Reject Election Review (Washington Post)
… Protesters are quickly realizing how much they may have to sacrifice to continue to disputing the results …
… and “Iran detained eight or nine local embassy staff for playing a ‘significant role’ in the unrest”
- Iran Arrests UK Embassy Staff (Guardian)
With the election security and logistics already set to cost an estimated $220 million,
- Karzai Calls on Taliban to Vote (Al Jazeera)
Foreign investment could quadruple production, but critics ask, “Why can’t we re-create” the indigenous oil industry?
- Iraq Set to Seek Foreign Oil Bids (Washington Post)
As the West continues it militance in Afghanistan and Pakistan, is Turkey a new recruiting grown for al Qaeda?
- Turks Increasingly Turn to Islamic Extremism (LA Times)
Mr. Nawi can be seen as “the Robin Hood of the South Hebron hills, an Israeli Jew helping poor locals who love him, and thwarting settlers and soldiers who view him with contempt”:
- Unlikely Ally for Residents of West Bank (NY Times)